I recently finished The Comfort Book by Matt Haig, and I am inspired to share some songs, movies, and books that bring me comfort. The Comfort Book is a collection of essays and lists about comfort, and I highly recommend it if you have yet to read it.
Songs that Comfort Me
This started as a playlist to calm my very anxious dog, but I found myself calmed and comforted by the music as well.
- “Sunday” from Sunday in the Park with George
- “A Soft Place to Land” from Waitress
- “This is Me Trying” by Taylor Swift
- “All is Found” from Frozen 2
- “Heart of Stone” from Six (My favorite version is the studio recording from the Broadway alternates)
- “Miss Simone” by Sara Bareilles
Movies that Comfort Me
You may notice that many of the below are Disney films. There is something magical about the power of a Disney film to transport you to another world and to forget your reality for 90 minutes.
- Beauty and the Beast
- Frozen 2
- Legally Blonde
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Cinderella (2015)
Books that Comfort Me
Some of the below are nostalgic favorites that I find myself returning to over and over, and some of these are more recent favorites that never fail to put a smile on my face.
- Emma by Jane Austen
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling (I do not condone J.K. Rowling’s transphobic beliefs)
- Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon
- The Hannah Swensen Series by Joanne Fluke
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
Of course, different things will comfort you. I want to hear what those are. Leave me your comfort books/movies/songs in the comments!